When Teddington was only a small fishing community the building stood on lands belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of Westminster. Gradually, over the centuries, the church grew, and in the 16th century the construction of the south aisle took place.
Today, this is the oldest part of the building and the Tudor brickwork can be seen on the outside wall. Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII, the manor and church was leased to the King’s friends. Later the manor was leased to ‘one George Gates’ and in 1603 to the Hill family who held it until the 18th century.
Teddington changed completely after the arrival of the railway in 1863. New housing to accommodate the growing population was built on land on the other side of the railway bridge, and a new church, SS Peter & Paul was built in 1865 to serve the population. St Mary’s was becoming too small and it was decided that a new, large church should be built nearby. The new church, dedicated to St Alban, was dedicated in 1888. St Mary’s was closed in 1889 and allowed to fall into disrepair.
Fortunately, an appeal to restore it was successful and it was rededicated in 1938 and used for weekly services. In turn, St Alban’s itself gradually declined and was closed for public worship, in 1979 St Mary’s once more became the parish church with the addition of St Alban in its dedication – ‘St Mary with St Alban’.
Today the church is thriving with a fine parish hall and is continuing to reach out and serve the people of Teddington.
More details about our church's history can be found in the Church Guide Book.
Click here to view images of St Mary's Church circa 1974.